Making Democracy Work

Elections and Voting

What you need to know about voting in Mississippi elections!

Who's on the ballot? When's the next election? How do I register to vote?...and more!

Voter ID



Mississippi voters did approve a Voter ID law in the November 2011 election, but the State of Mississippi will not receive clearance from the federal government in time for the election this year on November 6, 2012. Mississippi must have Federal approval to make changes to its voting practices to ensure the practices do not disproportionally affect minority voters. However, the LWVMS recommends that all Mississippians secure a picture ID to protect their right to vote.

If you need assistance getting a photo ID or transportation to get a photo ID, contact the Secretary of State's office:

phone: 1-855-868-3745 (toll-free)
mail: P.O. Box 136, Jackson, MS 39201

Exception: Voter ID is not required of all voters, but if you registered to vote by mail and this is the first time you are voting. Be prepared to show an ID at the polls. Acceptable ID's include a valid photo ID (such as driver's license) or any of the following that contain the voter's name and address: current utility bill, bank statement, government check, paycheck stub or other government document. For information, contact your County Circuit Clerk or the office of the Mississippi Secretary of State.

Voter's Guide

Check out the Voter's Guide!

Election Information

Click for information from the Mississippi Secretary of State about upcoming Elections.

Sample 2012 General Election Ballot

Finding Your Polling Location

Hinds County Polling Places can be found here.

For all others find your polling place on on the Secretary of State's website! Enter your street address, city, and zip code.

Note: You may need to have your complete five digit + four digit zip code. You may find that information on the U.S. Post Office website Zip Code Look up page.

Absentee Voting Process

Eligible Absentee Voters include any duly qualified and registered elector who will be absent from their county of residence on Election Day or any of the following individuals who may not be present on Election Day:

  • Any enlisted or commissioned members of the US armed forces who are citizens of Mississippi.
  • Any member of the Merchant Marine or American Red Cross who is a citizen of Mississippi.
  • Any disabled war veteran who is a patient in any hospital, who is a citizen of Mississippi.
  • Any civilian attached to and serving outside of the US with any branch of the Armed Forces or with the Merchant Marine or American Red Cross, who is a citizen of Mississippi.
  • Any citizen of Mississippi temporarily residing outside the territorial limits of the US and the District of Columbia.
  • An employee engaged in interstate transportation required to be away from his or her county of residence on Election Day due to employment.
  • A student, teacher or administrator required to be over 50 miles away from the county of residence on Election Day due to employment.
  • An employee engaged in offshore employment, or as an employee on a vessel or other watercraft.
  • An employee, businessperson, professional, tradesman or worker required being over 50 miles away from the county of residence on Election Day due to employment.
  • Anyone with a temporary or permanent physical disability.
  • Anyone 65 years of age or older.
  • A parent, spouse or dependent staying with a hospitalized person with a temporary or permanent disability and is 50 miles or more away from his or her county of residence on Election Day.
  • A member of a congressional delegation required to be over 50 miles away from his or her county of residence on Election Day.

Special Situations
  • Uniform and Overseas Citizens Absentee Voting Act (UOCAVA), an emergency rule allowing these citizens to register to vote up until fourteen (14)days before an election. For further information on military and overseas citizen absentee voting, see below

Absentee Voting Deadlines come early to help assure your ballot is counted. Contact your County Voter Information Center or Municipal Clerk at least two weeks before the election.

  • If You Intend to Vote in the Circuit Clerk's Office Before Election Day. Go to the Circuit Clerk's office (contact information found on your County Election Information page) in the county in which you are registered, and tell them you want to vote absentee. They will let you vote an absentee ballot right then and there.

  • If You Intend to Vote By Mail. Call your county circuit clerk and request an application form for an absentee ballot. Allow three weeks minimum between submitting your application for an absentee ballot and the deadline to vote by absentee ballot. You will need to have your ballot notarized unless you are disabled (Main post offices and town halls will notarize your ballot).

Questions? Contact the Secretary of State's Election Hotline at 1-800-829-6786.

Registering to Vote

To register to vote in Mississippi, you must affirm that you:
  • are a U.S. citizen.
  • are at least eighteen (18) years old or will be before the next general election
  • live in the state and county where you are registering for at least 30 days before voting
  • have never been convicted of murder, arson, armed robbery, bigamy, bribery, embezzlement, extortion, felony bad check, felony shoplifting, forgery, larceny, obtaining money or goods under false pretense, perjury, rape, receiving stolen property, robbery, theft, timber larceny, unlawful taking of a motor vehicle, statutory rape, or carjacking, or have had your rights restored as required by law
  • have not been declared mentally incompetent by a court
  • will faithfully support the Constitution of the United States and of the State of Mississippi and bear true faith and allegiance to the same.

Complete the Registration Form provided by the Secretary of State or your county Circuit Clerk at least 30 days before the election. If you have questions contact your county Circuit Clerk's office found on your County Election Information page or call the Secretary of State at 1-800-829-6786.

You will need one of the following forms of current and valid identification:

  • driver's license;
  • social security number;
  • other government photo identification;
  • utility bill with your name and address;
  • bank statement with your name and address;
  • government check with your name and address;
  • paycheck stub with your name and address; or
  • other government document with your name and address.

You are not required to register your party affiliation; however, you will only be allowed to vote in one party primary.

If you have previously registered and want to change your name or address, you must complete the same form as newly registered voters.