- 4/28/17 Jackson Mayoral Debate with moderators Clarion Ledger editor, Sam Hall, and columnist, Jimmie Gates.
- 4/22/17 Annual Meeting started with business agenda, followed by a speaker and lunch. Speaker: Flonzie Brown Wright The Civil Rights Movement in Contemporary Times
- 2/9/17. Legislative Day. Fran Leber was in charge of this great learning experience. Barbara Powell and Marcia Weaver for showing us around the Capitol. 22 people attended, including two non-members who decided to join today. All three local leagues were represented, and League members were introduced by legislators in both houses.
Carolyn Townes accompanied Christy Wheeler from the Gulf Coast on a visit to the Secretary of State's office to get clarification on when a 17-year old can be officially registered to vote. It was explained that Mississippi law Section 23-15-11 states that a person must be 18 by the next General election in order to be registered.
- 1/28/17. Liz Crowell, lobbyist for Common Cause, spoke to us about current legislation. Proposals for early voting and online voter registration were in the House.
- 11/19/16. Election Analysis by Nathan Shrader, Millsaps Assistant Professor of Political Science.
Vice President for Administration/Programs Delores Lee introduces speaker.
- 10/27/16. Election Commissioners Forum: citizens came out to learn about 11 of the 15 Hinds County candidates.
- October 2016. Thousands of people came by the LWVJA booth during the two nights of the Boo at the Zoo event. Children received candy and adults received election information and information about the League. Our members, dressed as suffragettes, received a number of compliments. It was a fun time for all.
- 8/27/16. Leonard Van Slyke of the Mississippi Freedom of Information Center spoke on transparency in government at our Membership Solicitation Brunch. Please visit http://www.mcfoi.org for more information and assistance.
- The featured speaker for the April 2016 Annual Meeting was Dallas Baker of the Department of Environmental Quality. Mr. Baker spoke on global warming and gave an overview of the DEQ's work in Mississippi. He is the Air Director and Chief of the Air Division.
- The first LWV-JA meeting of 2016 was held January 23rd, with a focus on 2016 Legislative Priorities, led by LWV-MS lobbyist Fran Leber, with special guest Erik Fleming of ACLU-MS. Elaine Talbott reported on the evolving League position favoring appointment instead of election of school superintendents.
- LWV-JA met November 21, 2015 to develop local consensus on the National LWV initiative "Money in Politics."
- League of Women Voters of the Jackson Area held a productive meeting on October 17, 2015 discussing consensus questions on constitutional amendments.
- LWV-JA sponsored a voter registration table at Wellsfest in September 2015.
- The 2015 Annual Meeting Luncheon, held April 18, 2015 featured speaker Donald Campbell, Associate Professor of Ethics, Mississippi College School of Law. See Prof. Campbell's notes on Redistricting here Redistricting Speech Notes