The League of Women Voters, Mississippi believes that deregulation of the electric industry should be approached cautiously because of its possible impact on the environment and various stakeholders.
- All consumers, including the low-income should have access to an affordable, reliable source of electricity and all providers should bear a fair share of the cost of the system including cost to the environment and society.
- Protection of the environment should be a major focus of any deregulation plan. The plan should include the following:
- Strict standards of suppliers including public disclosure of costs, sources, and environmental impact.
- A mechanism to ensure adequate funding for the conservation of energy and research and development of renewable energy
- The use of clean fuels should be a goal. The pricing structure of energy should reflect the overall cost to the environment.